The project is called “Muxagata Aldeia Sustentável” [“Muxagata Aldeia Sustentável”] and promotes community composting, door-to-door waste collection and bonuses for those who separate bio-waste correctly.
Sintra provides discounts to those who separate food waste. From North to the South of the country, we give you the opportunity to discover the bio-waste collection programs.
You don’t sort your kitchen’s food scraps yet? By December 31, 2023, the selective collection of this bio-waste will be mandatory in Portugal and in the European Union member states, in order to avoid sending it to landfills.
Portuguese municipalities have been implementing options for their residents, as is the case in Sintra, which since 2020 has enabled the separation of bio-waste. Now available in the entire municipality, the adhesion can be done through a form on the SMAS Sintra site or at the service counters. Afterwards, residents will receive a small bucket (of seven liters) and green bags for depositing waste that must be deposited in the undifferentiated containers.
To encourage residents, SMAS will give a discount of 1€ for every 30 days, on the tariffs for water and waste services for 2023. The sorting of this waste is done by the treatment entity (Tratolixo) using an optical reading system that will allow it to be sent for energy production or organic compost. According to SMAS, Sintra will contribute with 42.9% of the total amount of bio-waste from the municipalities in Portugal.
Find out about other selective bio-waste collection programs, from North to South of Portugal. If you have more information, do not hesitate to send us an email.
Lisbon and Tagus Valley Region
- Lisbon has 22 community containers (see map). The registration for allocation of domestic and/or community containers can be done through the website of the “Lisboa a Compostar” program and includes 19 municipalities.
- Setúbal makes more than 60 containers available on the public highway. Home waste collection is done in specific areas (see map). You can sign up for website of the project “Setúbal com.posto tem + valor”..
- In There are more than 400 brown containers near the ecopoint networks in Porto, and the city council estimates that they will reach 650 by the end of 2023. To get the access card or receive a domestic container you can sign up at site of the “Porto Orgânico” program or through the 220 100 220 line.
- In Santarém there are at least two compost bins in the city, in the housing developments next to the Silvã playground, and on Avenida Sá Carneiro, next to the Santa Maria School Center. Enrollment in the program “Compostorres“can be made through the email email@example.com.
- At Aveiro you can get information through the firstname.lastname@example.org and follow initiatives promoted by community gardens and local associations.
- At Castelo Branco, the municipality of Fundão associated to Resiestrela’s home composting incentive program, “Compostar, outra forma de reciclar”. Pre-registration can be made through email@example.com or by calling 969 527 915.
- In Évora there is a community composting island in the Quinta da Faia neighborhood, in Redondo, and by the end of 2023 the collection is planned for the whole municipality. The project Évora+Verde provides for the collection of bio-waste in school canteens, elderly centers, universities and hospitals, businesses in the HORECA channel and in private homes in the Malagueira neighborhood.
- In Beja, in the city of Odemira, there is a community compost bin in Jardim da Fonte Férrea. The Let’s Compost Project is for contract holders of water, sanitation, and waste services who have a garden, vegetable garden, or plot of land. It is also possible to sign up for community composting.
- At Castro Marim the program “Compostar é Dar Vida, é Valorizar! exists since April 2022 and enrolment can be made at the Town Clerk’s Office or by filling in the registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post.
- In Silves eight community containers were inaugurated (Silves, Algoz, Tunes, Alcantarilha, Pêra, Armação de Pêra, SB Messines, S. Marcos da Serra) in December 2022. Joining the community composting can be done by filling out the registration form available on the website of the municipality and sent to the email email@example.com; or by signing up in person at Silves City Hall or at the Council’s Parish Councils/Unions. More information through 282 440 861.
- In Loulé the professional school of Alte has 16 composting units in which organic residues are collected from the community and transformed into organic compost that will be available to all the inhabitants of the municipality.
If you are a resident in Azores, particularly in the municipality of Lages, you can get information about the project “Meu Compostor” which provides for the distribution of the composters, kitchen separation bucket and awareness material through 292 590 800 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. At MadeiraFunchal City Hall makes community containers available at Quinta Falcão I and IV, at the Conjuntos Habitacionais do Hospital and dos Viveiros, Santo Amaro, and Ribeira Grande.
She spent her childhood between Algarve and Lisbon, studied Arts but followed Journalism, likes clams with toasted bread as much as sausages with savoy cabbage. In short, her life is as much about the sea as it is about land. Her feet are always bare and she sings loudly when she goes shopping. She likes to grow pioneering projects with impact, from food-based to mobility, as long as they help someone in their mission. Social responsibility speaks to her heart, so she regularly volunteers and donates her clothes. Her reference in sustainability is her grandmother, who has always used bath water, fruit peels for tea, and treasures her belongings with her heart.
This new equipment has greater compaction and storage capacity, reducing the need for waste collection by about eight times. The town of Cascais has 140
Avoiding landfills, this project takes advantage of the existing collection circuits and existing equipment in Cascais to transform food waste into energy. Cascais is the
Sustainable Development Goals
This article addresses an action that promotes change towards more inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable cities and communities, helping toreduce the adverse environmental impact of cities.